So...you've got the dancing bug? If you have a knack for moving to the groove and are looking to perfect your skills, you've come to the right place. As the premier dance academy in Honolulu, we at Honolulu Dance Studio & Boogie Down Productions can help! We believe that mastering a dance begins with understand the history, development, evolution, and economical, political, and social influences of a dance, which is why we are not only committed to teaching our students how to dance, but why the dance exists and why it has stood the test of time.
Types of Dances
We teach a broad range of styles at Honolulu Dance Studio & Boogie Down Productions. Here is a brief overview of some of them:
- Waltz: The Waltz is a type of ballroom dance that is typically performed in closed position and incorporates elegant, graceful steps. It originated in Italy in the 1600's, and arrived in the United States in the 1800's.
- Swing: Emerging in the 1920's among African American communities, Swing is typically danced to styles of jazz music. There are a variety of forms of swing dancing, including Lindy Hop, Balboa, Collegiate Shag, Bop, Push, and Lindy Charleston.
- Argentine Tango: Originating in Buenos Aires, the argentine tango is danced counterclockwise around the dance floor and is categorized by the dancers' chests being closer together than their hips, otherwise known as the close embrace position.
- Rumba: The Rumba is performed in a broad range of countries, including Cuba, Spain, Columbia, and Africa as well as North America. It features animated bodily expressions and hip movements.
- Bolero: Originating in Spain in the late 18th century and not dissimilar to the Rumba, the Bolero is a highly romantic, slow-tempo dance that is recognizable by long sweeping side steps.
- Salsa: Salsa is the national dance of Puerto Rico, but has origins in New York City. It ranks high among the most popular types of dances in the world, and utilizes movements of the Mambo, Son, and Cha-cha-cha, among others.
- Merengue: Merengue is a Dominican dance, which incorporates the chasse dance step, along with many dramatic body movements. Dancers hold each other in closed position.
Educational Dance Classes
With Honolulu Dance Studio & Boogie Down Productions, you have a team that is committed to seeing you succeed. We will always be there to answer your questions and assist you in perfecting your form. For additional information or if you are interested in learning about prices, do not hesitate to get in touch with us!